This training was developed off the back of the 2013 project, Aim Higher, which looked at increasing project quality by getting policies and procedures right (health and safety, child protection, preparation of participants for international experiences and taking care of their emotional wellbeing, etc). The overwhelming feedback was very positive but many wanted a more in-depth look at emotional wellbeing (and developing emotional intelligence competences in staff and young people) as a vital aspect in project quality in management and delivery and so this training was born.
This Training Course focuses on the themes of Health (mental and emotional health) and European awareness. It will bring together 36 youth workers and youth organisations coordinating staff from across Europe. The aims are to promote high standards in youth projects by working collaboratively together to increase the knowledge and competences of youth workers, leaders and project coordinators/managers, developing guidelines to implement safe, quality projects.
The objectives are:
– To enable participants to become more effective communicators with young people, staff and others
– To teach participants the fundamental principles of emotional intelligence enabling them to understand themselves and others better
– To give participants tools on how to manage conflict situations by increasing understanding of why conflicts occur;
– To give participants tools to communicate effectively across social and cultural barriers using emotional intelligence;
– To give the participants tools to design an Intercultural Learning process and to prepare participants for an intercultural meeting;
– To promote new partnerships among the participants;
– To promote the confidence of organizers of youth projects in working with challenging young people and to encourage them to be more inclusive in their recruitment and preparation methods
This project will be an excellent opportunity to develop key competences and to share good practice across Europe, to develop strong relationships between partners and so to multiply the effects of the course by increasing the cooperation between partners through the development of new projects and initiatives.